August 22, 2011

Stride Ten: Going to School Abroad

Hola!

      While I was abroad, I took two different classes. I took a Spanish class and I took a Basque Politics Class.  Everyone keeps asking me, "Did the university look the same as it does in the United States?" The answer to that is yes! Of course, granted the University of the Basque Country was a small university so the scale of campus was much smaller. But they still had a cafeteria and many different buildings and green space for students to hang out!
       One thing to be aware of when you travel abroad, do not expect everyone, especially your teachers to speak Spanish! My spanish teacher only spoke spanish and my entire class was taught in spanish. Which actually turned out great, I do not have much experience with spanish, but she would speak slowly and explain anything we needed to be re-explained. It actually helped me learn more spanish in the long run!
     My Basque Politics class was great! It was taught by an American Professor and he was awesome! He came from the Basque studies program at Boise State University. He was very knowledgeable about Basque Politics and opened up his students eyes to the struggle and oppression of the Basque people in Spain, specifically San Sebastian.
    Taking classes abroad was a great experience, at first, it was overwhelming because of the language barrier, but got much easier as the semester went on! I am upset though that I did not get to have any classes with Spanish students, only american students. But it was still amazing!

-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment