August 03, 2011

Stride Nine- Arriving in San Sebastain

HOME! I arrived in San Sebastian, Spain!

I called San Sebastian my home for the past month and I could have not been happier that I chose to study abroad there! San Sebastian is the heart of the Basque Country and rich with culture and tradition. Currently, San Sebastian is titled "The Cultural Capital of Europe" and I could not agree less! After staying for a month, I explored the culture, languages, people, and cuisine associated with the area and it fascinated me more and more each day. San Sebastian is home to the native Basque people who claim they were the first people in Europe. The Basque people have their own language Euskadi which is present everywhere in San Sebastian and is spoke by nearly 20% of the population. The people of San Sebastian were prideful of their beautiful city and many of them have lived there their entire lives. The food was unlike anything I have seen before! The Basque country and San Sebastian is known for its Pintxos, otherwise known as Tapas. Hundreds of Pintxo bars line the streets of San Sebastian and each of them has their own unique Pintxos or mini, extravagant appetizers usually served on a baguette. Also San Sebastian is known for it's Sidera or Spiked Cider which was at each Pintxo Bar and would be served with dinner if you wished.

Some of my favorite things to do in San Sebastian were to hang out with the friends I had made in my group, eat out at different restaurants, hike, lye on the beach, and bike on any of the hundreds of miles of bike paths that curve through the city.

Here are some amazing pictures of my apartment and hiking! !


This was my apartment and I shared it with Frank and our wonderful roomate Leah!









Some views from hiking around San Sebastian. We were right on the foothills of the Pyrenees Mountains so there were great views of the city! 

Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment