June 13, 2011

Stride Five: Things you should not forget before traveling abroad

There are a few things I have been reading about that you should not forget before traveling abroad! 

1. Check the electrical outlets in the country you are traveling to before you leave 
                 I purchased my electrical outlet converters at Target for under $10.00. There was a set with a variety of converters for various countries around the world! Also, if you are a girl or like to use heat producing appliances, then you need a separate converter for a higher voltage. At Target this converter cost about $20.00 


2. Make copies of your passport 
Make a copy of your passport to leave at your house, in your suitcase, and keep your passport on you at all times while abroad. I also received a great tip from the UC International Office to make a photo copy of your passport and send it to your Email so you will always have a copy readily available.

3. Make copies of your credit card
Make copies of any credit cards you are taking abroad and like your passport, leave one at home and keep one in your suitcase. I do not think it would be safe or necessary to photocopy your cards! If you need to cancel them for some reason, you will not need a picture of it! 

4. Register with the Department of State 
In case if there is an emergency abroad the U.S. Department of State will contact your family back at home. To register visit the website below:  


5. Call your bank to let them know you are traveling abroad 
Contact your bank through the customer service line and tell them you are traveling abroad so they do not put a block on your credit card while you are away! 

6. Check your Cell Phone plan to see if you will be charged abroad for using your phone
Personally, I decided not to take my phone abroad because it would be too expensive to call and text. So as alternatives, I have decided to buy a Pay As You Go Phone while I am in Spain and leave my phone at home. Also, I am planning on Skyping with my family while I am away. You can download Skype for free with the link below: 


7. If you are going to Europe, get a rail pass to travel 
I got my rail pass from Eurail. I found a pass on this website for France and Spain for 5 train rides for around $250.00. With these rail passes though, you have to watch because some have reservation fees for each train you need to take. These fees typically are just a few American Dollars though! They can be tricky though because you have to go through an outside agent to reserve your seats, you can not reserve them on the Eurail website! This was also a great website for students because for people under the age of 25 were classified as children so the ticket was given to you at a discounted price. 

8. Get your ISIC Card
Get your International Student I.D. Card from your study abroad office before you go! This costs $22.00 and is an identification card valid in 120 countries. This card can get you discounts as well ;o) 

Hope this helps, 
Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment